Saturday, June 18, 2011

19/06/11

Not very word-creative, can't think of a creative title.

Hehehe Made a really, REALLY bad habit out of eating at the city, sometimes two meals in one sitting. =( I'm a glutton: had 5 cans of tuna friday lunch, and then jeffrey/trevor (bio people) told me that some town in japan got screwed over pretty badly by mercury poisoning cuz all they ate was tuna and tuna have high levels of mercury because they're high up in the food chain and eat small fish which also have mercury.

but yes, spent thursday and friday in the city, eating at various hawker stalls.
I really must get a camera or a decent camera phone or something of the sort. Hmm, i regret not ever getting one earlier and bringing it to places. Soo many damn memories; one time at neil's, his sister kept taking photos and photos and photos of us, telling us that when we get to her age (yr12) you really cherish those moments. Now I get what she means!

So far, have had (in 4 weeks/6 trips)
Nasi Lemak, Beehoon, Char kway teow x2 (!!!), Laksa x2, Nasi Kuning Rendang, OH AND THEY HAD BAKGOA (beef jerky-ish stuff) AT THE NIGHT MARKETS.

Must find another hawker centre, maybe in chatswood? OH Makan@Alices in thornleigh, though they're a bit pricey now.

enough about food.

finally, we get to an english text that I thoroughly, THOROUGHLY enjoyed reading - Geoffrey Robertson's "The Justice Game." Very thought provoking, two sides of the story sort of stuff but still very one sided and yeah. Talks about bridging the gap between law and justice, which if you've never really thought about it before (or thought of them as one), is quite big. A good read in my eyes. AND it has LKY in it, that has to be good. Hehe, I remember having some discussion with Ms Steele about social safety nets and LKY and Bladerunner and Nixon, and then she actually turned it into a 12EN7 v Joe argument D: But thank goodness there was no top to come on of, and the argument ended with a poignant statement "When you become a politician, you are so screwed". Don't even know how that got thrown in there.

There's been a good mix of texts we've covered in English over the years, though sadly I haven't read many of them. Will spend a few good minutes reflecting on some memorable ones:

Bladerunner/Frankenstein - Well frankenstein, however critically acclaimed it may be, sucked. Maybe because I don't understand sophisticated language. But I didn't mind Bladerunner, quite liked it actually, and would willingly analyse the hell out of that any day.

From Bladerunner flowed I am Legend, which at surface level, seemed like your traditional detective/scifi film. I did appreciate our classroom study of it, and the new light it shed on the film. Yes robots may be a problem, but that problem originated in us. A humbling thought.

One Flew over the cuckoo's nest was memorable! i can't pinpoint why.
I never read To Kill A Mockingbird ... :( But the movie was good! Both these books portrayed clearly the times they were written in, and how radical things were and so on.

this blogpost has taken 2hrs two write == Been sidetracked by JOHN FREAKIN MAYER WOOOOOOO <3 ^^

1 comment: