A friend recently asked me how I was going with a book she'd leant me (Kathryn Stockett's "The Help") and I proceeded to bore her with my long-winded dissection of the characters and their impassioned revolt via the pen.
She replied, blankly, "I was just able to immerse myself in the book, and enjoy it."
I've taken to perusing and scrutinising every last detail, even trying to keep track of Paddington Bear's age and any incongruities in the storyline as I once again my my rounds through the series. I haven't for a long time been able to curl up on my bed, apple in one hand book in the other, and just lose myself in in the swirl of intriguing plot lines, endearing character development and teddy bears.
I do, however, have an easier, if only by a hair, time with music. I am better able to throw my critical thinking cap out the door and just let the mystical melodies wash over me.
Anyway I really want to write something, anything, that doesn't involve bones or muscles or fractures or old people hearts lungs sputum whatever. I'd like a detox or purge or sorts, of my reading material. And so here I am, writing again. Hoping that somehow I am able to more coherently and eloquently articulate my thoughts as I write on.
So,
30 DAY SONG CHALLENGE WOOOOOOO !!!!
Day 01: Your favourite song
For me, favourite songs are a volatile, dynamic beast. Maybe it's reflective of my haste and restlessness, of Gen Y's general unwillingness to settle. Or maybe there are particular captivating details in songs that squeeze them onto the already crowded throne of favourite song. I'll sometimes listen to a song after not listening to it for x time, and wonder what I saw/heard in it, and conversely, I'll listen to a song I hadn't listened to for yonks, and wonder why the hell I hadn't pressed play earlier.
So, I'll cheat here and list 3; a recent, an oldie, and a possible semblance of an all time favourite.
#1: Rich Man's Frug , from Sweet Charity.
The first movement, The Aloof, is an absolute masterpiece. The song is creepy, haunting but equally enchanting and mesmerising. Very catchy also. They are at the Pompeii Club, an exclusive club for the wealthy, frequented by men in suits vests and colourful cumberbands, and women in exotic headdresses extravagant mascara and flexible necks. Their downward gazes, never meeting our eyes, erect a barriers between 'us and them'. Their "question mark" poses, the slow tilting of their heads as they puff out cigarette smoke, and the absolute state of boredom and unfulfillment they must have reached to crack out a thumb dance... Bob Fosse's choreography captures 'aloof' brilliantly!
The second and third movements are vibrant and lively. Big and brassy. Love it.
And by jove, that lead dancer (Suzanne Charney) can really dance!
#2: Chick Corea - Spain
A gathering of some very, undoubtedly, talented musicians. Opens with a soft sample of Miles Davis' Concierto de Aranjuez, almost lulling us to sleep before launching into the very catchy main riff at 3:08. It's really fun to tap in 4s to the main riff as then you really notice the either what is syncopation, or just a very rapidly shifting time signature. Actually its just fun to tap to the song in general.
#3: Eminen ft Elton John - Stan (live at the 2001 Grammys)
I much prefer this over the album version he does with Dido. i don't know how to describe music, but i will say that Elton John's piano playing mirrors the titular Stan's angst wonderfully. And Eminem is a lyrical genius.
No comments:
Post a Comment